Education – Homeschool Mondays
On select Mondays from 9:30–11:30 am, homeschool families and organizations can tour The Magic House when the Museum is closed to the public. The two-hour reserved program includes exploration of the entire Museum. Exhibit areas include:
- In A Little Bit of Magic, visitors explore an area designed especially for our youngest visitors. This space was developed to enhance a young child’s understanding of cause-and-effect relationships, to refine gross motor skills and encourage exploration. Favorite A Little Bit of Magic exhibits include the Puppet Wall, Light Brite, Texture Tunnel, Sand Play and a wet and wonderful playground, WaterWorks.
- In the Children’s Village, special exhibits spark the imagination of 5- to 9-year-old 21st-century learners and provide a world of opportunities about math, science, financial literacy, literature and much more. Favorite Children’s Village exhibits include the Super Service Center, Pizza Parlor, Market, Walker Fishing Pond, Hospital, Bank and the Pet Clinic!
- In the original part of the Museum, visitors will discover dozens of exciting and challenging hands-on exhibits that encourage 21st-century learning skills. The adventure begins with the exploration of magnetism, shadows, sound, the power of air and more than 50 other educational exhibits that enhance creativity, critical thinking, problem solving and scientific literacy. Favorite exhibits include the Electrostatic Generator, the Shadow Wall, the Bubble Room, Pulleys, the Rams' Training Center, the Lewis and Clark Adventure and the three-story slide.
- In the Mystery Mezzanine, young investigators use 21st-century learning skills to discover how forensic experts solve crimes! Favorite exhibits include Can You Solve the Mystery?, Modern Artists, Ductwork Crawl, Hidden Forensic Lab, Disguise Room and the Jack and the Beanstalk climber.
- In the Star-Spangled Center, visit the Presidential Rotunda, Oval Office, Legislative Chamber and Courtroom. These interactive environments offer children the opportunity to practice 21st-century skills as they learn about our government of the people, by the people and for the people. Favorite Star-Spangled Center exhibits include Famous Phrases, You Can Be President Too, Sign the Declaration and the Liberty Bell.
The discounted admission rate for this program is $3.00 per person and children under the age of 1 are admitted free. Select Homeschool Mondays reserved for the 2013-2014 school year are: October 7, November 4, January 6 and February 3. Reservations are not required.